Friday, November 13, 2009

Dell XPS M1330: the faulty laptop saga continues

I have had a long, hard week at the coalface of Dell Customer Un-Resolutions. Finally, at around 4pm on Friday, after a 35 min phone call of horror, I got the offer of a home technical visit, and the Un-Resolutions guy said he would email the tech contractor's call centre details for me to make an appointment:

Dear Ms.LLG
This is a follow up to our conversation today. As discussed please make a note of the dispatch # XXXXXXX. You can contact your service delivery partner on 1-800-247-4618 and quote the dispatch number and schedule a time and date for the technician to visit.

Please do revert in case of any clarifications.
Thanks, KXXXX
____________________________________
Hurrah, thought I, as I rushed to call the number. Hmm. This isn't an external tech contractor, it's Dell on the end of the line. I email back:
_______________________________

I tried that number and it is the extended service line for upgrades & renewals

_________________________________
Reply:
Dear Ms.LLG
This is a follow up to our conversation today. As discussed please make a note of the dispatch # XXXXXXX You can contact your service delivery partner on 1-800-247-4618 and choose option 3 and then option 1 and quote the 9 digit dispatch number and schedule a time and date for the technician to visit.
Thanks, KXXXX
_________________________________________
Okay, maybe I am as thick as he is implying. Maybe I didn't listen to the options carefully enough. I'll dial again and follow his instructions. (Thinks to self: why didn't he put the number prompts in first email if he had them all along? And a bit rude just to send the email again. But okay.) So I dial again, follow the prompts and realise that this is indeed NOT the right number.
____________________________________

My reply:
This is an automated order status line. Where are the people to TALK to?

_____________________________________
Dear Ms.LLG
This is a follow up to our conversation today. As discussed please make a note of the dispatch # XXXXX You can contact your service delivery partner on 1-800-970-5206 and choose option 3 and then option 1 and quote the 9 digit dispatch number and schedule a time and date for the technician to visit.
____________________________________

I am finding it hard to comprehend the level of condescension in this series of emails. First the implication that I am stupid by just sending an identical email with the extensions spelled out. Then when he realises he has indeed given me the wrong number for the external contractor, he sends out the exact same email again but with the correct number inserted. No apology - not even drawing my attention to the fact that his almost identical email now contains a different number.

And people wonder why I rant about Dell Customer Un-Resolution.

(oh and the number prompts he gave me do not work)