Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Feeding my inner geek

Am especially pleased right now that, as I am missing JSL who has moved on in preparation for visiting the set of his movie in Spain, I have finally met a charming American man with whom I can have a conversation about more than the weather. The fact that our conversations range from etymology to geology and other areas sometimes considered to be a little dull or esoteric has made me wonder about the definition of a geek

After all I love computers & electronic gadgets, can explain the Borg and theory of collective consciousness on Star Trek, religiously watch the current series of Doctor Who on-line, collect maps, like transport museums, and am endlessly fascinated by the minutiae of life in Manhattan: from the workings of the Subway to the evolution of the different racial areas. These things might traditionally be considered the traditional province of the geek.

Yet, I certainly don’t consider myself one. The Cambridge Dictionary defines a geek as boring and having no interest in fashion. Boring is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, but I work in fashion, and generally know what’s what.

Perhaps it’s time to redefine the modern geek?