Saturday, April 12, 2008

What LLG did next...

So I've finally drawn breath, and it feels good. Right now I'm supposed to hanging out on the roof of Soho House with Sexy S & J (who I bumped into last night & who seems to have forgiven me for immortalising him in my blog last week) in the early Saturday evening sunshine, but I lost momentum at about 4pm and went for a pedicure before going home to watch last week's series launch of Doctor Who (I'm obsessed) on the net.

I think I can be forgiven though: I was up at 8am and by 1.30pm had been to The Guggenheim (Cai Guo-Quiang installations), and to The Met (The Jasper Johns & Courbet shows) and walked from 90th right down to 56th. At that point, H & I gave up, & fell into a cab, heading to Soho & Spring Street Natural for an organic, healthy late lunch. He's got jet lag, & I'm just generally exhausted.Bobo; Bobo New YorkThursday night was a girls' night out to celebrate BA's engagement. The four of us started at the classic & very grown up King Cole bar at the St Regis, before heading down to our favourite restaurant Bobo in the West Village for supper. Bobo always feels like an exquisitely shabby chic private townhouse that just happens to be hosting a few tables for supper filled with beautiful people (most often fashion industry and, on Thursday, Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher)*

Lovely Andy, the most charming restaurant manager in Manhattan, had kept us a fabulous table on the terrace, and we worked our way through the menu, from mushroom risotto (with morels) followed by transcendental light, fluffy ricotta ravioli with parmesan & broad (fava) beans. The chef also sweetly sent out a freebie of cod with chanterelles, on perfect leeks with a green puree which disappeared pretty quickly. Pud was a rhubarb galette, perfectly in season, with great pastry.

Friday saw yet more eating. One of the things I miss most about London are my male friends, so it was blissful to have three lovely boys to take me to supper at Public in Nolita. We met at the bar at the Soho Grand, as I'm particularly fond of their passion fruit martinis in glasses the size of a goldfish bowl.

Public is buzzy, busy and very New York, & perfect for out of town visitors. The food is Pacific rim, (Peter Gordon of London's Providores and the former Sugar Club is a partner) and the wine list, in the main, Antipodean. We drank a stunning Pinot Noir and I, to my eternal restaurant reporting shame, ordered the simplest, healthiest dishes on the menu: an excellent mushroom ceviche with yuzu, followed by a green bean, pecan, lentil & avocado salad dressed with the sweet sharpness of pomegranate molasses balanced with avocado oil. I just couldn't face complex food after ten days of restaurant eating.

*We can report that Demi was stunning in Missoni, absolutely tiny, looked about twenty in candlelight and that we all fancied Ashton.

Photo: Dining room at Bobo