Thursday, May 01, 2008

Limited Edition Nike at Dover Street Market

Regular readers may think I am obsessed with DSM, and they may be right. It also helps that they have a very proactive PR who gets blogs* and who sends me emails with delectable pieces (like these bags) every couple of weeks that I just cannot resist popping on here.

These Nike Dunks in floral Liberty print are just immediately covetable. Apparently the Nike Design team selected two classic Liberty prints, Wilshire and Pepper, to create two limited editions of the Nike Dunk. The limited edition sneakers feature a gum rubber midsole and a heavyweight Liberty fabric for the upper which was chosen for its durability.

These aren't the first Nike shoes to transcend the boundaries between sport and style. We've seen the Nike Terminator (Harris Tweed), the Nike Air Force 1 (Merino Wool), and the Nike Blazer designed in collaboration with New York graffiti artist and fashion designer CLAW Money in October 2006.

I think the factoid that I love the most is that British designers working within Nike’s global design team were consulted during the creation of the shoes to ensure the final look was quintessentially British.

I WANT WANT WANT. Even more than I wanted the red Hiroshi Fujiwara Converse I wrote about here. Just how cool would it be to wear such a quintessentially English print as an English fashion editor on a American fashion magazine? I'm hopping back to the UK to do appointments in the next week or so... hmmmm...

Exclusively available from Dover Street Market next week. UK £90.


* Still astonished by just how few PRs engage with the online world. SO incredibly short-sighted. And that's not puffed up vanity on my part, but common sense. On line reach can be intensely targeted to a particular market and produce an ROI way, way ahead of traditional print markets.