Friday, May 29, 2009

Vote Beatnik Jr!

Back in April I wrote about the fantastic Beatnik Jr. They were competing, as one of 150 bands across America, in the Hard Rock's Battle of the Bands. The ultimate prize: an all expenses-paid trip to appear in London at Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park on the same bill as Neil Young, The Killers and Bruce Springsteen.

I was dragged to their LA show, thinking they would be rubbish (Hard Rock? Yeah right). I was wrong. They were properly good, and it would seem that I am not the only one to have worked that out.

After demolishing the local competition, they went on to the Battle of the Bands private judging round against the other 20 regional American winners. They sailed through that, emerging as one of just five bands in the on-line public voting final.

They are in second place right now, so I urge you to check out their MySpace and, if you like what you hear, click through below to vote to send these charming LA boys to my home city.

Hard Rock Cafe Ambassadors of Rock Battle of the Bands

ps I was blown away not just by Beatnik Jr's live set, but by the charming email they sent to thank me for writing about them. Manners: few & far between these days, I find. (Hmm - I am well aware that I am turning into my mother.)

So Beatnik Jr (John Maro, Jordan Vernik, Drews Jones & Collin Winner), I wish you the very best of luck!