Friday, June 19, 2009

Violet RIP

whippetI didn’t really want to post this as I am trying very, very hard not to think about this, but you have all been so wonderful and your comments, emails & tweets have been so lovely in asking for updates that I felt I should say something.

Our darling whippet Violet was put to sleep yesterday morning after a three week battle following a car accident on the road outside our house.

She had a massive heart attack at the vet hospital two days ago which damaged her heart sufficiently that there really was no hope left for her continued survival.
Muv emailed me from home today :

“Violet wasn't going to get better and her heart was struggling. She was so pleased to see me and I cradled her in my arms and it was very peaceful. They buried Violet under one of the willow trees by the stream, and Molly put a posy of roses, pinks, Canterbury bells and alchemilla on the grave. Violet looked so peaceful and I couldn't believe that she had been so ill. I loved Violet so much - she was the sweetest, gentlest dog, and had three weeks of misery. A chain of events that could have all been avoided. It is an absolute tragedy.”

It’s been a bad year for my family with my parent’s ongoing divorce, and Violet was Muv’s salvation. I wish I could vault the Atlantic to give Muv an enormous hug right now. Our animals are so very important to our family.

I shall remember how she tried to crawl out of her vets bed, whilst attached to a drip to climb into Muv's and then my lap, and how she & Billy would jump on my head in the mornings to wake me and try to sneak down under the duvet when Muv wasn't looking, and how she woke me in the middle of the night last week trying to get on my bed to go under the duvet, even though her operation scar meant she couldn't leap up.

We will miss her very, very much. (Violet with Billy her son)