Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Eight best summer makeup products

This was going to be my Top Ten list, but I could only come up with eight must have summer makeup pieces: less in always more in the summer. My list of top summer body products is coming soon.

Estée Lauder DayWear Plus Multi Protection Anti-Oxidant Moisturiser SPF15
$39.50 / £29.50
I've used this ever since a bottle landed on my desk from the PR. One squirt & I was hooked: the lovely sheer, tinted coverage works on a range of pale-medium skin tones and smells of heavenly cucumber. Summer in a bottle.

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser in Sand SPF20 ($42.00) / (£34.26)
Slightly more coverage than the EL with a creamier texture. The Sand tone seems to be universally flattering, and it stays on all day, giving a healthy, natural glow.

In the winter I am morgue pale, so I take advantage of my fake tan in the summer to wear the coral & bright pink lipsticks my skin tone can't normally take.
My current favourite is MAC's Slimshine Lipstick in Hot 90's, a sheer, glossy coral shade (discontinued, available on eBay), but I'm also loving the sheer hot pink Slimshine Urgent ($14.50) (£12.50) and MAC's matt bright coral classic lipstick Lady Danger too ($14.00) (£12.00)

Essie Coral CarouselA bright nail varnish looks great against a tan. I try to avoid looking too matchy, so if I have coral toes, then I wear pink lipstick, & vice versa. Essie Nail varnish in Coral Carousel ($8.00) is perfect right now. (I bought a bottle which I take to the salon, so I can touch up my toes inbetween pedicures.)

Sue Devitt Malay Reef Sue Devitt Seaspray Gel to Powder Blush($20) (£12.50)I love cream blushes in the summer and Sue Devitt's Malay Reef is a sheer peachy coral-pink, which blends well into tanned skin, avoiding blusher stripes. It also comes in a handy small mirrored compact.

Maybelline great lash waterproof mascaraWith a swimming pool in my backyard this summer, I am relying on the old standby Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara in Brown Black ($4.69) I still remember the days when this wasn't sold in the UK. British magazines would extol its glories monthly, and I'd beg friends to bring it back from their holidays. It stays on for days, doesn't run and never clumps. (Can't find it online in the UK, but Boots sell it)

Whilst I am loving my Sonia Kashuk Dramatically Defining Long Wear Gel Liner in Cocoa, Smashbox's Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner in Bronze ($22) is a waterproof, smudge-proof eye liner, which doesn't look too done on the beach & makes blue eyes pop. (I'd love to always go au naturel by the water, but my light blonde lashes and eyebrows need perking up.)