Friday, July 24, 2009

Locanda Verde: Possibly the perfect brunch menu in Manhattan

Okay - I know this blog is coming across as food obsessed right now, but that's partly because I am in the country writing with no social life right now and partly because I am cooking. All the time.

I'm also reading a lot of food stuff on-line to assuage my restaurant cravings, and that's how I came across the new brunch menu for Andrew Carmellini's Locanda Verde, which has recently opened in a revamped space (formerly the dreadful Ago) at de Niro's The Greenwich Hotel in TriBeCa.

Gabagoul & Grana 14
Our Crostino of the Day 7
Granola Parfait with organic yogurt and berries 12
Black Fig Insalata with arugula, Asiago, and duck brasaola 12
Sheeps’ Milk Ricotta with truffle honey and burnt orange toast 11
Local Tomatoes with watermelon and smoked ricotta from Abruzzi 13

Red Mill Organic Oatmeal with stewed fruits and almonds 11
Wood-Fired Uovos Al Forno with carona beans and black Tuscan kale 14
Zucchini Frittata with roasted tomato, goat cheese, and fiore di zucca 14
Uova Modenese with cottechino hash, spinach, and tomato hollandaise 16
Soft Scambled Farm Egg Crostino with leeks, mushrooms, and speck 15

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with local blueberries and Meyer lemon curd 14
Crispy Polenta Waffle with local strawberries and mascarpone 15
Hazelnut Crusted French Toast with Sicilian citrus salad 15

Fed up with mediocre $10 plates of eggs & potatoes that I could knock up at home for pennies, I've been running a personal boycott against brunch in Manhattan. This, however, is making me drool. It may well be the most delicious brunch menu I've read all year. The full menu & wine list is here You can read Frank Bruni's two star review in The New York Times