Friday, October 16, 2009

Beauty product of the day: Elemis Japanese Camellia Oil

Elemis Japanese Camellia Oil

A few years ago I started using oils on my face and body, as an occasional alternative to more traditional cream based moisturisers. Often they are purer, needing no preservatives or petro-chemicals to stabilise them, and they can deliver a more concentrated shot of goodness to tired, dehydrated skin.

I've tried plenty (John Masters Organics facial oils are wonderful) but I'm particularly fond of Elemis'Japanese Camellia Oil which I take travelling in hot, dry climates as it's such a great all-purpose restorative product.

Traditionally, the Japanese have used camellia oil for the care of nails, hair, scalp and combination skin. In the Elemis product, it's blended with sweet almond oil and I've found it works well combed through on hair as an emergency overnight solution for dry hair and, although I've never used it specifically on my nails, my hands are noticeably softer after applying it as a body moisturiser.

Which is where it really comes into its own: after I've been in the sun or skiing, my parched, crocodile skin drinks this up and in twenty four hours my skin is restored to its more usual supple smoothness. I've also found it useful as a massage oil: it's aroma neutral so it can be used on those averse to fragranced oil or as a carrier oil for essential oils.

It's available from Elemis in the UK here, and in the US here.