Monday, October 05, 2009

Reader Q&A: Which beauty products should I get in the US?

From Twitter follower Helen: "My boss is visiting Arizona this month - recommend any beauty products she can get me that aren't in the UK?"

There is very little that is sold over here that you can't now buy in the UK. I used to bring back Crest Whitening Strips for friends, but even those have been launched over there now. Tylenol PM & Melatonin are about the only things for which I am asked.

However, the price points of colour cosmetics & beauty products can differ substantially, so if you have a favourite or have been dying to try something, then it's worth doing some on-line research to see if it is cheaper in the US.

If your boss has a car and can get to Target then you are in luck. I'm a big fan of Sonia Kashuk's beauty range, which was initially launched in Target, and then picked up by Space NK earlier this year. Her brushes are sold in Space NK in the UK but there is a big price difference:
For example, the angled blusher brush is £24.47 at Space NK and a recession-friendly $17.99 at Target.

I understand from fellow blogger British Beauty Blogger that the colour cosmetic range will go into store in the UK mid-October, but I presume the pricing difference will remain, so it's definitely worth giving your boss a shopping list.

I raved about the travel make-up brushes & the gel eyeliner earlier this year, but also have the eyeshadow quads and the eyebrow kit on my list too.

Target also stock Jemma Kidd's make up line, which is about a third cheaper than UK Space NK's prices.

Anyone else have any US beauty recommendations for British shoppers?