Sunday, November 29, 2009

Raising Ruby: a service dog in training

Service Puppy...Or Service Bunny?

Raising Ruby

Of the hundreds and hundreds of blogs on my Google Reader, one of my favourites is Raising Ruby. It's the story of an adorable Golden Labrador puppy on her way to becoming a service dog for an individual with a disability in Colorado.

Her trainer
is a puppy raiser for Canine Partners of the Rockies, who took charge of Ruby when she was 10 weeks old, and who will have her for about 18 months until she is ready to enter Advanced Training.

Ruby's trainer, The Other End of the Leash, found me first and I'm so glad she did. I particularly like reading blogs that have nothing whatsoever to do with my daily life or my career, and that teach me (without preaching) all about something entirely new.

I have experience in my family of how the companionship of dogs can help someone with a disability, and the idea that someone who may be lonely and restricted in their daily activities can benefit both from companionship and comprehensive aid from a dog is quite, quite wonderful.

ps If you'd like to see the puppies before they left for their training, click here and prepare to fall in love.