Thursday, December 03, 2009

Angel Jackson handbags

Angel Jackson satchel bag large

I'm a proper fence sitter when it comes to bags. Apart from trad satchels, and maybe a Birkin & a 2.55 if you must, oh go on then, I'm not really set on fire by the whole bag thing.

But very,very occasionally someone sends me a release or I stalk some chic girl down the street to find out what she's carrying and bingo I fall in love. Janet Collin's beautifully made, last for ever handbags. Sang A's wonderful coloured pieces... hmm now I am struggling.

Which brings me to Angel Jackson and that spectacularly LOVELY bag hovering above. The label was set up in 2005 by English sisters Katie and Millie Smith. Katie is the designer, based in Bristol, and Millie oversees the production over in Bali where they set up their fairtrade workshops.

Their plan was to produce ethical bags at a sensible price point: there's nothing over £400, and that wonderful satchel bag comes in around £260. But just because they aren't expensive doesn't mean they aren't beautifully made: all the stud, pearl & sequin detail is done by hand.

The bags are quite obviously the product of a designer with vision, who has her own ideas and who doesn't pander to commercial trends. I think the line is ravishing.

Stocked in Selfridges, Horrids, Henri Bendel, Villa Moda, Galeries Lafayette amongst others, Angel Jackson has had Carine's seal of approval, and won Topshop's New Designer of the Year Award.

These two bags which I want so badly it hurts more than my chest (long story), are from the AW09-10 Damned and the Dangerously Beautiful collection. Do go to their website (they have online shopping), take a look around. www.angeljackson.co.uk and add to your Christmas list. (And they're offering a free snakeskin Bella belt with any order from the current bag collection.)

Angel Jackson gladiator bag large
Angel Jackson Gladiator bag