Monday, February 15, 2010

Copenhagen Fashion Week: YDE & Georg Jensen Daisy collection

Georg Jensen Daisy pendant necklace

I was a little dubious when first told that Ole Yde was accessorising his AW/10 collection with Georg Jensen's pretty Reversible Daisy collection, suspecting a designer collaboration born solely from fiscal necessity rather than any particular connection (see Swarovski ad infinitum).

But I was proved wrong:

P1120519

The tumbling flowers and elegant chains worked beautifully with the luxurious and often delicate silk fabrics that Ole Yde uses.

Yde's connection with the house goes back further than last week: he worked in the silver department at the Georg Jensen store when he first moved to Copenhagen. And now his work has captured the imagination of Georg Jensen CEO Ulrik Garde Due, whose fervent belief that Yde needs solid support to help him realise his collections led him to offer not just the jewellery, but the Copenhagen flagship store for the YDE show.

A sense of heritage and a great back story never go amiss where fashion & jewellery are concerned, and the Daisy collection has both. Launched in 1940 to celebrate the birth of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, it became a symbol of the hope that the little princess (known as Daisy) brought the country during the war.

The line was re-launched in 2008, and I have my own Daisy bracelet, which my godmother gave me that Christmas to match the daisy tattoo on my ankle.

Maybe when I graduate to wearing pieces as beautiful and sophisticated as Ole Yde's, I'll treat myself to a Daisy sautoir, with its twelve double-sided daisies, as worn above.

LLG was a guest of Georg Jensen in Copenhagen - but if she didn't like something, she'd say so - as you well know.