Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Target needs to re-think its eco strategy

More Earth Day thoughts.

Eco bandwagon-jumping makes me all hot, cross & bothered. Either do it properly or don’t do it all. I’d like Target to explain, please, why they think that ordering a job lot of oil by-product nylon shopping bags is helping to create a greener planet?My own bag arrived folded in a thick cardboard envelope marked ‘A gift for you and the environment’ in my subscriber copy of Vanity Fair. When I opened it there was a stink of chemicals from the bag itself. The sleeve asks shoppers to carry it for’ an easy way to reduce waste in your community’.

Are they on crack? Not only has the bag been shipped from China, it's made from extremely dubious chemicals that I don’t want my fruit & veg kicking around in, & they’ve just created a wholly unrecyclable shopping bag, and cardboard envelope which will be thrown out. (And it’s irrelevant that the envelope is made from 100% post-consumer waste.)

I am extremely unimpressed.