Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A Tiger In The Kitchen: My Year of Eating Ferociously

From the moment I arrived in South East Asia aged nineteen, I didn't stop eating and could happily spend the entire day eating from all the different food carts in the Singapore hawker centres. Then I needed to learn how to cook laksa and roti canai and all the rest, so headed to the kitchens of the childrens homes in Singapore and in Malaysia where I volunteered. Leaning over the shoulders of the long-suffering chefs, I stuck spoons in soups and asked hundreds of questions

Cheryl Tan, an old fashion writer colleague of mine in New York, grew up in Singapore, & is similarly obsessive about the food of her youth. And, also like me, spends her time in New York eating her way around the city's restaurants and cooking up a storm at home.

She's just started up her first blog A Tiger In The Kitchen: My Year of Eating Ferociously where she intends to document her food adventures. She writes beautifully, so do go take a look.