Saturday, July 11, 2009

One & Other: The Fourth Plinth

I can't sleep and logged onto Twitter where I saw a tweet telling me a man dressed as a dinosaur was playing swingball & crushing the Houses of Parliament on the Fourth Plinth* in Trafalgar Square.

And there was.

I checked his reason for being on the plinth:

Girlfriend told me to do it.

And his plan for whilst he was there?

I will be monstrous
I may or may not destroy London
I will see how I feel

I just can't see a man in a homemade dino costume being officially sanctioned to jump around squishing models of major landmarks in the middle of, say, DC's Capitol Hill. I'm pretty sure it would be deemed disrespectful.

God I miss England sometimes. That a man who can use his hour on the plinth to do anything he likes would chose to be a dinosaur playing swingball is so quintessentially English. I love the laconic description of his plans to destroy London. Only in Britain...

This is an art project called One & Other by Antony Gormley. He is asking the people of the UK to occupy the vacant Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square in London, a space normally reserved for statues of Kings and Generals. They will become an image of themselves, and a representation of the whole of humanity.

Every hour, 24 hours a day, for 100 days without a break, a different person will make the Plinth their own. If someone is selected, they can use their time on the plinth as they like.