Monday, August 03, 2009

S'mores. Delicious: who knew?

Until this evening, the closest I had come to a roasted marshmallow was seeing Charlie Brown holding speared marshmallows over a fire in the Peanuts cartoons.

peanuts marshmallow roast

Whilst roasting marshmallows does happen in the UK, it's definitely an American rather than an English tradition. Most American of all are s'mores, which definitely do not happen in the UK. As I discovered tonight, they are roasted marshmallows squished together with a square of Hershey's chocolate between two Graham crackers.

We've had house guests overnight with two little children, so an outdoor barbecue supper inevitably meant s'mores for pudding. GG set the fire pit going, and we speared marshmallows onto twigs from the kindling bag.

Roasting marshmallows

This is shortly before I got over-confident and my marshmallow slid off my twig and into the fire.

roasting marshmallows

Second time around I managed to get my carefully browned & melted marshmallow off my twig and squished successfully onto a Graham cracker.

melted marshmallow s'more

Then followed a careful application of a double square of Hershey's dark chocolate.

s'more with  dark Herseys

A final Graham cracker completed the sandwich.

s'more

Two minutes later my fingers, my camera, my chin and my hair were all glued together with melted marshmallow.

Yum.