Monday, November 23, 2009

Waking up in the countryside

I was woken at 7am by the sound of rain on the tiles. My room was carved out of an attic so there is nothing but plaster and lathes between me and the roof. It's lovely being up here, separate from the rest of the house, with just the oversized furball to keep me company.

The only drawback is the lack of central heating. I forgot to set the night storage heater, so it's a little chilly. However quite a lot of the household goods from my London flat are stored in the garret above the garage alongside all manner of old furniture and general junk, so I've just been for a rummage for some home comforts to furnish the bare bones of my room.

First I attacked the pegs in the boot room. I found an old tweed coat, what I think must be my grandfather's thick woolen college scarf and one of those multi-coloured Nepalese hats with ears. Wrapped up from nose to tail, I inched up the lichen covered outdoor stairs to the garret, wrenched open the padlock and prepared to explore.

My spoils? A narrow antique (by which I mean ancient) lacquered bamboo table to use bedside, a spare duvet & pile of wonderful old fashioned satin edged blankets, some thick church candles, a couple of large framed fashion photographs (gifts from an old job) to prop against the walls, and a jewellery box in which to put my extensive chandelier earring collection. It's a good start: I will be warm & organised.