Monday, January 04, 2010

The music I loved in my teens

scan0009

Who says men are the music geeks? After attending my first ever gig - Transvision Vamp at Folkestone Leas Cliffe Hall if you are interested, and experiencing the twin joys of the mosh pit and cute boys in skinny jeans, I went through a stage in my early teens where if I couldn't buy a track as a limited pressing white label 12", preferably on Sarah Records, or Creation I was, like, so uninterested.

Fortunately I calmed down a bit a few years later and only needed a band to be in the NME...which explains part, but not all of my obsession with Pop Will eat Itself, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, The Wonderstuff, The Sandkings et al...

I found a box of gig tickets in the attic this week and it all came flooding back. The tiny venues, the PWEI Pepsi rip off logo, sitting on the floor at the James gig...kissing a boy I was madly in love with at Carter (but not realising it at the time)...

I'm even in the Carter video shot at the gig at Brixton Academy. That was the same summer I saw them play at Reading too. (The summer before was The Pixies at Reading.) Blissful salad days.