Friday, January 01, 2010

A look back at LLG's life in Manhattan in 2007...

Rummaging in my archives for a re-post isn't my thing, but as I started to put together a blog highlights of 2009 post for my own edification, I came across this linked post summing up 2007, and thought I'd run it again for the wonderful new readers who have stumbled upon LLG this year. Whilst 2009 has been all about travelling around America and elsewhere, in 2007 I was firmly in Manhattan, drinking cocktails, dating and eating a lot of wonderful meals.
________________________

2007 was an extraordinary year. I rounded up my quintessential Manhattan (hanging in hotel rooms with pop stars to eating hotdogs on my East Village stoop) in one prose poem.

And here are some other New York stories:
I started blogging from Manhattan in March 2007. London. New York... Plus ca change...But some things are different
It wasn't all fashion parties. There were book launches too. And supper at Elaine's. And gigs
I bought my first NY bike. And promptly fell off it. Ouch.
I flew home for a wedding.
As it got hotter, working from home turned into sunbathing here, & I changed my wardrobe. And goodness, I seemed to have done a lot of partying.
I discovered blogging memes
Had my first date with a New Yorker, and discovered that what I wear passes many people by.
Fed my inner geek, and realised that I was staying in Manhattan permanently.
Started to discover that some people do think differently over here, and began to work out this dating thing
Played Sartorialist at Lollapalooza in Chicago with lovely L, & experienced my first gifting suite
Learned to wear wellies in Manhattan, & flashed my knickers in a BBCTV studio.
Spent September attempting to dispel a few myths about fashion people, went on location here, and played non-bridesmaid for Miss P.
Dating went from bad to worse & I discovered that going out here is not like Sex & the City.
Kissed a boy. Turned into a stalker, and gave up on dating.
My birthday party was utterly bloody brilliant and I ate my weight the next week before celebrating Christmas early by painting Manhattan red .
I returned to London for an operation, and completed my guide to Manhattan restaurants.

And finished the year, conveniently, by writing what would be my favourite blog post so far, reminiscing about my eccentric grandmother.